RE: [Harp-L] Jazz players

From: George Brooks <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>
Robert Bonfiglio wrote:

>We are leaving out one the best straight ahead
>jazz players - Hendrik Meurkens....

Hoo boy. I've gotten some mail offlist, too, naming others that should have been included as being able to play no-excuses jazz. I never meant to create a list of worthy jazz button chromatic players. I named three, and said I doubt that we could come up with another forty-seven names (the point I was trying to make being that saxophone players able to play complex jazz at a similar level probably number in the hundreds, at least).

Yes, Toots. Yes, Hendrik. And others, about whom it should not be assumed that I am expressing any opinion by not naming them here (or in my previous posts on this subject). They are admirable. My only point was that they are scarce compared to players of other instruments more readily adapted to the playing of this type of music, such as saxophone, trumpet, and piano.

George

I had named Hendrik Meurkins (no, I didn't know his Mom!)

Toots was left off because he is like Howard Levy; in a class of his own.

Michael Peloquin http://www.globerecords.com/cgi-bin/db/search.cgi?specific=itemno&phrase=GLO-025