Re: [Harp-L] No Excuse Jazz Howard Levy

Howard learned/knows the jazz material from piano first and then applied that knowledge to the diatonic.

Like it or not, up until recently, diatonic was not an instrument used to absorb the repertoire - tons of jazz tunes.

So, perhaps Howard shouldn't be considered a prime example, as diatonic was not his primary instrument.

Carlos del Junco is one of the pioneers in diatonic only playing the repertoire. I believe Chris M. also has diatonic as his primary. Mike Turk was chromatic first and then some diatonic jazz repertoire. Michael Peloquin - repertoire on sax and then applied to diatonic? Randy Singer - harmonica only, but chromatic first and then diatonic?

As a matter of fact, what are your primaries and secondaries?

My primary is piano, diatonic following.

The Iceman