[Harp-L] Re: Learning scales

Pierre writes:

How does one learn scales and at what point can you say you master it and can
move on to the next one?

Is there a well known set of exercises that I can do that will lead me to
knowing a scale perfectly, or some kind of test?

Pierre...........One thing that helps immeasurably is understanding the
construction of a major scale.  The pattern to learn is 2-2-1-2-2-2-1.  This is
the pattern for any Major scale.

You are familiar with the major diatonic scale found in holes 4-7 on a diatonic
harmonica.  On a C harmonica, that is the C Major scale.  On a Chromatic, the
blow/draw pattern is the same on the first four holes, and repeated for each
octave in succession.  There is one constant among Major scales.  That is the
pattern of half-notes that defines the scale.  That pattern is 2-2-1-2-2-2-1.

C Maj scale: C D E F G A B C
half notes:   2 2 1 2 2 2 1

Note there are two half-notes from C to D.  Likewise there are two half-notes
from D to E. There is only one half-note from E to F, etc.

You can apply this pattern to define any other Major scale by starting on the
note of the scale you wish to define.  Thus, To define the D scale start with
the D, 2 half-notes would be E, 2 more half-notes would be F#, 1 half-note
would be G, 2 half-notes would be A, 2 more would be B, 2 more would be C# and
finally 1 half-note would bring you back to D.

D Maj scale: D E F# G A B C# D
half notes:   2 2  1 2 2 2  1

Exercises include ascending and decending the scale, There is also a "drop-back"
exercise where you play three notes and drop back one to play the next three
note succession.  In the C Major scale, you play
C-D-E,-D-E-F,-E-F-G,-F-G-A,-G-A-B,-A-B-C.  Ascend and descend through this as
well.

Another exercise specifically for the Chromatic is to ascend and descend through
all 12 half-notes.  You can also do the 'Drop-back' pattern with this as well.

As to a "test", I think the test is when you feel comfortable enough to go
through these exercizes smoothly and in tempo.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com