[Harp-L] Re: Chromonika II

Michael Fugazzi wrote:

Recently I came upon an old Hohner chromatic. I know that it was purchased in
Germany, some time around World War II. It is labled as Chromatische
Mundharmonica Chromonika II on the cover plate, and on the bottom has four
small
pictures with the years 1927, 1926, 1937, and 1893 reading from left to right.
There is also a picture in the middle with two hands holding a round symbol
that reads Gestezl Gesch.

Any help with dating or valuing this chromonika would be much appreciated. I
don't play chromatic, so I don't know how well it plays, but it is in pretty
good shape.

If anybody would know, I am sure they are on this list!

Mike

Mike.........First go to Pat Missin's site for info on dating and valuating
harps. Specifically

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q4.html

Look at the logo again, where the two hands are holding the circle.  Is there a
star in the circle?  A star would pretty much confirm pre-WWII.  Other wise its
anyone's guess.  As to value.  Well, things are worth whatever anyone will pay,
right?   There is one on eBay at the moment, currently bid at $5.50.  One
recent sale on eBay brought $21.50.  Values are also affected by the purpose of
the user.  As a player, this harmonica is probably not of significant value, as
you can get many fine chromatics easily.  As a collector, this harmonica may be
of significant value depending on its position in your collection, i.e., you've
got all the Hohner chromatics except this one.  The most extreme value comes
when two collectors are bidding on the same harp on eBay and they both are
suffering from "I gotta have it" disease.  Sky's the limit in that case.

It is apparently 'relatively' old.  If its in reasonably good shape (check for
cracked comb), it could be sent off to a customizer who can put it in wonderful
shape.  Then you'd really have something.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com