[Harp-L] Not fair to the Chromatic

 Jazzman writes:  "The CX has an interesting sound, but its still a
single-reed valved system and to my ears that will never sound as rich as
a dual reed unvalved system."

This is a crock; the chromatic can have a huge full sound that blows the
diatonic away.  I play both and there is no way that the diatonic can make
the opening of Ravel's Pavane on my Romances recording sound as big,
powerful and full.  Unless you get away from mics and learn to kplay with
power on chromatic, you can not know the power the chromatic can have.

I have been going after more and more power and volume over the last ten
years; Howard has been bringing better and better intonation to overblows
over the last ten years.  It may end up that we decide not to play certain
pieces or that we use mics on some, but let all of us see how far we can
push the envelope.  All of us know if we have failed or been successful.

Last week was the Rotterdam Philharmonic for me; kVaughan Williams Romance
for Harmonica, Strings and Piano; everything went great in rehearsals, and
the sound system had problems in performance.  I went totally acoustic
again and some people said i actually covered the orchestra up in a few
places.

The harmonica is a great instrument; let's push the edges and see what
falls through the judgement of time.

BTW, for Chris, OB is a totally fake technique and should remain so as
long as possible!

Harmonically yours,

Robert
Bonfiglio

This message was sent using I-2000 Web Mail.
http://www.i-2000.com/