[Harp-L] OB, CX or XB?

 >>The CX-12 chromatic, which can certainly make a
 >>very loud, aggressive sound on demand, makes the
 >>difference in tone between diatonic and chromatic
 >>almost a non-issue.

>No, I disagree.  You can get a great sound out of both instruments, but
>they are *very* different sounds.

I have to agree with George on this one.  The CX has an interesting sound, but its still a
single-reed valved system and to my ears that will never sound as rich as a dual reed unvalved
system.

But then again OB's don't sound as rich as dual-reed unvalved bends either.  OB's are after all
single reed bends and thus will always sound thinner than a dual reed bend won't they?

And then of course there's the XB.  Dual reed and valved.   To my ears, the XB is closer than a CX
to the sound of a short harp.  But its still not quite the same is it?  Is it the valves that make
an audible difference?

Still its SO close, that I have to wonder, is it sheer stubborness and invested interest that
keeps the overblowers on their monkish path?  Or do they really prefer the sound of the OB to the
sound of the XB?