From: "Pierre" <slavio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 5:53 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Learning scales

> How does one learn scales and at what point can you say you master it and
can move on to the next one?

> Is there a well known set of exercises that I can do that will lead me to
knowing a scale perfectly, or some kind of test?

> Does one need to know interval jumps of 1, then 2, then 3 etc. relative to
each note?

> Having learned a scale should I then learn to insert out of scale notes?
Are there exercises for that?

> My objective is to be able to improvise fluidly and to learn the note
positions inside out. Are there other goals I should be seeking while doing
this?

> My initial scope is fluency/proficiency or at least competency in blues
improvisation (walk before I run), what should I learn? I guess the I, IV
and V blues scales, the arpegios for the chords, the myxo mode. Is that it?
what else is required?

> What about for rock, what scales should I add?
>
> Also when I improvise, sometimes I hit a note which is a dead end, what is
that  (&^%&*% note(s), how do I avoid it. Can I learn to avoid it while
learning the scales? I assume if I'm in the right tonality, there is no
problem, but what if I venture outside to add diversity?

> Last question, will this become innate at some point or will I limit my
playing to my thinking speed? given time will be able to play what I can
hear in my head or does that require other exercises?