RE: [Harp-L] Symmetric intervals and bleeding lips

Not really related, but a couple of my primary harps (A and C) are
both Blues Harps and after playing just a couple of hours, my lips are
completely raw with these. I can't buy new harps...yet. Again, anyone
have any ideas? Thanks

I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but I think it's worth repeating. After trying all manner of greasy substances to ease my raw lips such as Vaseline, various lip balms and even K-Y Jelly, I finally found a cream that (a) doesn't cause my lips to seize up on the harp, (b) doesn't leave unpleasant deposits in the mouthpiece holes. It's sold as an anti-cold sore cream in the UK (not one of the anti-viral ones), comes in a tiny tube, lasts for months, costs two quid a tube, has no weird perfumes or flavourings and is called Cymex. I'm certain that similar products are widely-available. I use it once or twice during a long session and whenever my lips feel dry, and I now never experience lip soreness. Wood combs don't bother me.
Another thing I'd mention, though it's a bit unseasonal, is that you can get all manner of lip problems due to sunburn without realising it. You may not notice much at the time, but an hour's harp-playing can then be the straw that breaks the camel's back. It's definitely worth tracking down a sun-block that your lips aren't allergic to for use from March to September. I nearly said lip-block there.....

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm