Re: [Harp-L] Re: 1) Mark Graham

Mark is indeed a resident of the Northwest. He is an outstanding harmonica player. I've never heard anyone play old time fiddle tunes on a harmonica with the speed, passion, and tone he produces.You can check him out at

www.mongrelfolk.com

Happy T-day to all,

Grant

Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Richard Hunter
wrote:
1) I heard an album of bluegrass covers of Bob Dylan tunes by Tim
O'Brien yesterday. One cut -- the best on the CD, in my opinion --
featured Mark Graham, who I understand is Nashville-based, blowing
what sounded like 1st position diatonic. It was terrific harp
playing, brilliant use of dynamics, vibrato, and other tonal
effects. I look forward to hearing more from this player.

======Winslow writes:

Mark Graham - at least the one I know - lives in Seattle. He's an
excellent old timey/celtic/prewar blues (and, evidently, bluegrass)
harmonica player who used to be in the group Open House with Irish
fiddler Kevin Burke. Brendan Power turned me on to his work about ten
years ago. Mark is also an excellent comic songwriter:

Let me tell you a story 'bout Oedipus Rex
Just another story 'bout sex 'n' death
Killed his paw and married his maw
That's a fifty-dollar fine in Arkansaw

In addition to two CDs with Open House and one with Kevin Burke
before that (that also features the Murphy family of harmonica
players), he has some independent CDs out, some in the company of
Orville Johnson as Kings of Mongrel Folk. The Mongrolia website:

http://www.mongrelfolk.com/

He's very knowledgeable about harmonica players in a wide range of
traditional music and first turned me on to some of the Québécois and
Cape Breton players I've been listening to ever since.

Winslow