[Harp-L] Re: Overblowing Hoopla

from a newbier perspective:

this is largely academic for me at this point, but it seems
to me that OB is just another technique that lets you say
some things musically that you couldn't otherwise.  it's like
when you first started playing harp, before you learned
bending.  you could play some stuff, but there were some
songs or licks that you just couldn't play until you learned
to bend.  you learn to bend; it makes them available to you.

vibrato, octaves, all kinds of things give you sounds you can
use, or not, to say what you want to say.  learn them or don't,
as suits yourself.  it's a technique, not a religion, or a club, or
a badge of honor.

it's on my list of things i know i'll need to learn sometime,
but i've got plenty of things higher on that list right now.
when i'm ready, i know just where i'll look for advice.
there's been some great stuff posted in these threads.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.