Re: [Harp-L] MC 151 grounding

At 08:58 AM 11/23/2004, you wrote:
>Any tips for tightening the ground connection at the eyelet/element
>without ruining things? I have an intermittent cutting out problem and I'm
>hoping this is the cause (the eyelet is not peened down tight).
>Thanks,
>kcmojo

I notice you said "I'm hoping this is the cause"  which leads me to ask how
have you eliminated all the other possibilities?  Before you mess with the
MC151's eyelet, how have you isolated the element's eyelet as the cause?

Because of the potential risks of messing with that, its a good idea to
check all the other potential causes which are easier to fix - and may
indeed be the problem, and not the loose eyelet - I've got elements with
that, and there are no problems.

I suggest, getting a guitar lead with 1/4" jack on one end and no connector
at the other end, so you can strip back the insulation, and have access to
the sheild and signal wires. Solder the wires directly to the element
without anything else - making sure you get them the right way around - if
they're back to front it doesn't work properly.

Simply hold the element, make noise into it, and rattle it about, while
holding the middle of the chord steady.
  Assuming the cable, 1/4" connector, the amp's jack, and your soldering
are all good - if you can't make it cut out doing this, then you ~know~ the
element is not the cause.

  I'm just concerned for the element. There are only so many left in the
world, they're not being made anymore, they have a finite lifetime, and
they're easily ruined.   Its best to work your way from the connector, to
the mic eliminating potential problem areas with the element as your last
port of call.

-- G.