Re: [Harp-L] Basic overblowing question - and why overblow - long

George said:

One piece of advice I have heard is that you should be able to hit and
control both of the hole 10 blow bends before tackling overblowing.  I
do not want to discourage anyone from exploring overblows, heaven
knows, but I think it is good advice.

Good advice, but in my experience it is sufficient to be able to control the do 8 and 9 blow bends before tackling the 6 overblow. The 10 blow bend is difficult, the reed is very short and must be gapped right. I saw Carlos Del Junco play last night and he gave a "Harmonica 101" lesson to the audience. Anyway he wasn't able to hit the 10 blow bend. He had to use his backup harp.

The 10 blow bend is still very hard for me on the C harp, much harder to hit clean than the 6, and 4 overblows. Could be a gap thing though, I hate gapping. I have to be in a great mood to do anything mechanical on my harps.

One last thing, once you can blow bend 8 and 9, much of the task is to gap the harp right for overblow. This is 1/2 the battle of 'initial' overblowing.

There is info on Howard Levy's site on how to do the overblows, he gives good tricks to get started. Tinus's site is good too, look at both. See G's site on how to set up harps (arcing). Can't find the page.

So lets say you spend a couple of week gaping and overblowing, you will have it (well weakly), at least the 6 hole. Not that hard really for initial OBs, so what's the big deal: The big deal is being to play fluidly. Coming from a 6 draw to a 6 OB is great. Try and do 5 blow, 6 OB, that's harder. Try 6 OB followed by 6B, that's hard - the hole is choked and does not want to un-choke (fast). Gapping and technique need to be just right to use OBs in many contexts.

Here is some free advice, before you overblow or even blow bend, make sure you are good at all basic 2nd position stuff. You should be able to do 12 bar blues easily as chords or arpegios or as blues scales and be able to play tunes with bends on 1, 2 and 3 and 4 and be able to play these fluidly, with nice pretty tone and also with dirty tone. Also you should be able to play all bends in key. The first bend of the 3 draw hole is a bixxh to get and hold in tune with good tone. Also start on vibrato, partial chords and splits etc.

My point is that before you learn to play overblows and blow bends you should be a competent 2nd position player. Once you can play decently with a band in first and second position, go for the next step.

Why you say? Because IMO if you start too many things at once you will not get good at any of them. The exception being if you are willing to practice 2 to 4 hours a day. Some people only play second position and do it really well, I wish I could do just that, that would suffice for now.

My goals have changed, I am backtracking, to fix all my second position weaknesses and to improve my musicality and my sound. When I am decent low 1/2 harp player, have a decent repertoire and play cool stuff, I will move on to the next thing. In the meantime, I will just maintain my blow bends and overblows and use them sparingly.

Five or 6 months ago, I posted stuff about my initial success at overblow, the thread went on for a few days, various people chipped in and someone posted something and said: "Listening to this thread I have decided to quit overblows"

I think I get it now. Its about having fun with the harp and developing musically, not just learning techniques to show you can do it.

Hope this helps someone.

Pierre.

Addendum:

2nd position proficiency test:

This is from George Brooks, looks like a good proficiency test for a 1/2 harp:

A night in Tunisia first few notes:

For those wanting to try the tune in seventh position, the first 9
notes are as follows:

hole 1 draw bend;
hole 1 draw;
hole 2 draw bent all the way down (a whole tone);
hole 3 draw bent down a whole tone;
5 blow;
4 draw;
hole 3 draw bent down a whole tone;