Re: [Harp-L] Adler and Django got hot rhythm

Winslow,

I haven't gotten the CD yet so I haven't had a chance to figure out what key it (Rhythm) was played in. But from what you say below, would it be reasonable that he played it using a C harp -- in whatever position that works out to because that's the only harp he had at the session. Or perhaps they changed the key so he could play it in first position like he did for "Body and Soul"? Or assuming he could play it using any instrument he would select a harp that best suited the tune and given his usual MO, would have played it in first position? Or what?

Oh, and Bob, in case you're wondering, the version I heard is the one from "*With His American Friends [BOX SET] - $9.98 *". An awsome performance indeed, and I only heard the snippet on the Amazon.com site!

And Ben, I said I wanted to give it a try. I haven't booked Carnagie Hall yet. ;>)

Thanks,

Howard Chandler

Winslow Yerxa wrote:

This version of Body Soul is in C instead of the original key of Db - not sure why; Db is a relatively easy key on a C chromatic. I haven't investigated this thoroughly enough to ascertain which key of chromtic Adler used, but there is a good chance it's a C-harp. Adler did use non-C instruments in the 1930s, usually in the key of the tune being played.