RE: [Harp-L] Re: Harmonica Challenge

>>What does it say about the legitimacy of overblowing as an approach
>to harmonica if only 5 players
>>in the whole world are up to the challenge?   Not even 5 percent?
>Just 5 players?  And one of
>>those 5 declines to demonstrate.  Hmmmm.

This has nothing to do with the legitimacy of overblowing. It is and
forever will be a legitimate technique. Although none of us really
know, I'm sure people thought about bending notes and playing blues
the same way you speak of incorporating overblows and playing jazz on
the diatonic.  The fact of the matter overblows exist and more and
more people will use correctly them as time goes on.

I'm no longer willing to participate because the event has lost it's
original intention which was to help tom albonese learn the tune.
It's very playable in a number of positions.  Why does it have to be
turned into a competition on who and which instrument can play it
best?  There's no point in that.  People will do what they do.  Any
person's involvement in this "look see what I can do wanker fest"
will not alter the way anybody approaches our humble little
instrument. I personally don't need to prove my playing abilities to
anybody.  I would rather spend my time writing and playing my own
music rather than demonstrate how well I can play somebody elses. My
goal is to transcend musicianship and become an artist.

If anybody needs help with this tune or any other, I'll do my best to
help you offlist.  My offer to host the challenge still stand but I'm
really not into competing on this level.

Chris Michalek