[Harp-L] Re: Harmonica Challenge

>>I'll do it. Tell me where to sign up. I have the Aebersold track. Let big
>>daddy show you guys how it's done in ChromonicaLand!
>
>Damien Masterson

>I don't think he gets it!
>I bet that he can play it on saxophone too.
>Michael Peloquin

Hi Mike,

my understanding of the Harmonica Challenge concept was that it would indeed be open to all
harmonicas, diatonic, chromatic, altered tuning, heck if someone wants to attempt it on a
Harmonetta, I'd love to hear that too.   After jamming on the tune with Mike Polesky yesterday, I
realize that the melody is no great "challenge" for chromatic harp players as talented as he is.
But I still think there are relative strengths, weaknesses and virtues of diatonic vs chromatic
that could be illustrated by a challenge open to both.  I plan to play the song on my XB-Melody in
5th position.  (5th position because my only XB-Melody is in Bb, so that's the only way I can play
the tune in Dm.)   I will enjoy the comparisions to both diatonic and chromatic renditions.

I have attempted to play the tune on diatonic in 7th and 4th positions.  My hat will be off to any
overblower who can render a confident and convincing version of the tune without fudging the
melody.   Improvising over the changes is a different matter which I suspect will actually be
easier for most overblowers than simply playing the melody as written.  But for chromatic players,
the melody is pretty easy so I'll be more interested in hearing their solos.

I respect Richard Hunter's position on the use of the copyrighted Aebersold material.  From the
beginning I've said that people should be able to use whatever backing track they feel comfortable
with, or no backing track at all if that's what they prefer.  So if Richard wants to use a Midi
File that's fine.   The Aebersold track is good, but Band-In-A-Box is pretty good too.

I really hope the Challenge gets going soon.  I also hope it comes off in a way that will make us
want to conduct more Challenges in the future.  It's a great inpiration to practice and highlights
the great sense of community here on Harp-L.