Re: [Harp-L] Night In Tunisia (long)

This whole thread started when on November 11, I, Tom Albanese wrote: <<snip>>

<<Good evening. Is there anybody out there who's playing this tune on
diatonic? I've been trying to work it out in 2nd and 3rd and can't get a handle on it
yet. Maybe another postition would be better. 5th? Special tunings?>>

I want to work the tune out for a special gig with an acoustic guitarist
that's coming up in December. I'm getting closer with some off list 7th position
help from George Brooks, (thank you George) and I think I'll eventually get it.
Maybe not in time for the gig, but hope springs eternal. Somehow, within
about 24 little hours of my original post the whole thing turned into "A
CHALLENGE". Wow. Well, it is kind of challenging, especially if you're not one of the
great gifted "less than 5 players in the world" who can play it on the
diatonic. At some point in my life I hope to make it "less than 6".

Today, November 22 Chris Michalek wrote:
"Is this an issue
on whether or not YOU can play it? If you can, you can. Good job. I'm
sure most diatonic players can't so why make a fool of yourself?"

--- I dunno Chris, I know you don't mean me personally, but if I ever do
reach the vaunted pinacle of actually believing I can play it, I'm thinking of
performing it with a jester's cap on. ---

But then Chris continues in his message to give us some words of
encouragement:

"The song is not hard to play if
you're a musician that understanda little theory and can legitimately
work your way through some simple ii-v changes."

--- Hmm. So maybe there's hope. I'm now thinking all I need is a little
theory and the abilitiy to figure out some simple changes. Cool. Maybe I won't have
to wear the jester's cap after all. I never did like those little jingle
bells. ---

But then, alas, my world comes crashing down when I read further what Chris
has to say:

"There are probably
less than 5 players in the world that could play tunisia on the
diatonic right now."

Shoot. I bet I'm not one of them. Official jester's cap back on. Jingle,
jingle.

Anyway, all BS aside, I'm not now nor was I ever really interested in a
"Challenge" other than the challenge I place in front of myself to learn the tune.
I admit I was intrigued by the challenge idea for a while though. But now I
have to agree with Chris on at least one point. The whole Tunisia challenge
thing has gone too far. I'm just going back to learning it on my own. Happy
trails.

T. Albanese