[Harp-L] Levy concerto

Last night, my wife and I made the 90 minute drive into Nashville and experienced the best in music from opposite ends of the spectrum. First stop, B.B. King's to hear an incredibly talented singer/pianist/songwriter, Laura Vida along with a superb sideman, Saxophonist Tim Coleman. A voice made for soul, blues and Motown. Afterwards, we walked a few blocks up the street to cozy little War Memorial Auditorium for the highlight of the evening, the Nashville Chamber Orchestra and Howard Levy performing his "Concerto for Diatonic Harmonica and Orchestra", 20 minutes of virtuosity that kept me alternately picking my jaw up and pushing the hair down on the back of my neck. I have now been to Mecca. I wish I could find words to produce an adequate review but can find none to do justice to the performance. This weekend marked only the 10 performance this concerto has been performed since Levy was commissioned to write the piece by the Illinois Philharmonic. During intermission I had the chance to pickup of an autographed cd from the master himself. My taste in harp tends to run toward the blues/jazz end of the spectrum, but I will be looking for this concerto once it's been released. Howard told me he had recorded the concerto with the Czech Symphony Orchestra and were working on the distribution angle. It is not to be missed.