Re: [Harp-L] Re: OB's

From: "Tim Moyer - Working Man's Harps" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Learning to play overblows opened doors for me.  After almost 30 years of
playing, it boosted me from a long, flat plateau, and got me interested in
what I could do with a harmonica.  Overblown notes aside, the development
of the technique -- the breath control, the embouchure control, etc. that
it requires -- changed forever the way I play the instrument and made me a
better harmonica player, whether or not I use them.  Listening to other
players who use overblows -- Carlos Del Junco, Howard Levy, Greg
Szlapczynski, and the many overblow players I met at SPAH -- made me a
better musician.  I'm certainly not saying anyone who overblows is a better
musician than anyone who doesn't.  There are lots of great harp players who
don't use overblows.

All great points Tim. How many of those great players that eschew OBs do so out of laziness, unwarranted fear, traditional integrity or some other weird reason? I can't understand why a great player would not want to utilize all of the notes that are available on their instrument.
BTW-This does not necessarily mean playing the diatonic in all 12 keys!

Michael Peloquin
http://www.globerecords.com/cgi-bin/db/search.cgi?specific=itemno&phrase=GLO-025