[Harp-L] Indoor Blues Festival Newmarket Ontario Canada - 2hrs from Buffalo NY.

Fitzy's Crabshack and Martini Bar - Blues Festival Weekend - 6pm Friday November 19 - Sunday November 21
183 Main St. South
Newmarket Ont.
905 -898-4321
www.fitzyscrab.ca

Artistic Director/Artist: Mark bird Stafford - http://www.markbirdstafford.com

Every once and a while a unique opportunity arises where a club owner/publicity person contacts me and requests my services to book a blues series/festival to take place in their venue. A bi-product of my association with Chicago's Diner Bookings (12yrs). This past summer (July) we treated the area of Sutton - Ontario to three days of fine blues entertainment at the Mansion House. It was a huge success with all acts raising the entertainment value to this community.

Fitzy's Crabshack in Newmarket is the latest hot spot for a fall weekend blues festival November 19 - 21. The room has nice site lines, with a friendly staff and most important a great sound system.

My goal as the programmer for this event is to bring in some of Canada's finest and exciting performers.

Here's what we have for you.

Friday Nov. 19th 6pm - 8pm - 2 (50 min.) sets
Michael Pickett - http://www.michaelpickett.com (solo)
Moving into the solo acoustic rack mount harmonica format was a natural for Michael. Given years of fronting his own 4 pc bands across North America since the 60's, Michael has really found a comfortable fit in the Blues Community once again. Winning many awards along the way, here is a man who is known for his tone in the amplified harp cirlce, but now injects some fine guitar playing into the mix. His song writing grows with his ability to capture a audience right from the downbeat. We are lucky to land Michael to perform songs of his choice, and take us on his "Journey of the Blues"

Friday Nov. 19th 9 - 1am 3 (sets)
David Rotundo http://www.davidrotundo.com
David Rotundo is one of Ontario's favorite harp player/singers who has really risen to the top of his game. David delivers a pure blues show - He can really attack with the heavy blues artillery, and then bring it down to a pin drop - taking the audience into a great space. His shows are very exciting because he knows exactly what the audience wants. Backed by some of Toronto's finest musicians, the show wanders back and forth from the "silky swinging styles" of Pete Schmidt on Guitar to the "Down Right Cushion" of his fine rythmn section, Shane Scott (bass). A great Closer for the Friday - Leaving the audience wanting more.

Saturday Nov. 20th 2 - 4pm 2 (50 min.) sets
James Anthony (solo)
Here we go with one of Canada's most versatile guitar players who has a huge history. Rick James, and the Mama and the Papa's - two resume features that show James's past is worth digging up. He also had the pleasure of band leader in the Lulu's house band in Kitchener, and the club featured a revolving door the world's greatest entertainers who stopped in Canada on their world tours. Mr Anthony has continued to play non stop across Canada - and has a new Independent release. James runs a very successful studio and performs constantly - no sidelines for this guy - Full time - Great singer and guitar player.

Saturday 5 - 8 pm (3 sets) http://www.bebopcowboys.com/
The Beebop Cowboys
Here ya go! A little Western Swing to shape the afternoon. Never mind the crop! It can wait a couple days. One of the coolest bands to emerge out of Toronto in the past few years. These guys serve a real Cowboy Lunch. Steve Griggs (hollow body guitar) Howard Willet (harmonica and vocals) Burke Carroll (pedal steel)
The three front guys really cook - trading and doubling lines commonplace with these lads. Real good players with a good command on a repetoire that just makes ya wanna lift your skirt and dance. Dennis Pinhorn and either Johnny Adames, or Bucky Berger lay down the bass and drums - I was listening to this rythym section cats 20 yrs ago- and still can't get enough. Check it out.

Saturday November 20th - 9 - 1am
Harmonica Knights - Hosted by Mark bird Stafford with special guests - Al Lerman (Fathead) - Roly Platt
http:www.markbirdstafford.com - http://www.wezel.com
Here's a show that (Mark bird Stafford) created and hosts around the country for many festival and club dates (including the Montreal Jazz Festival 2004). The concept is simple - assemble a top notch blues backing band - consisting of Darran Poole - guitar - Tyler Burgess - Drums - and James Rasmussen - bass. Marry that band with the host and two special guest harmonica players to, "Tear Up The House". And that's what they do. The night features each of the guests performing with the band, presenting their slice of the blues. You might even witness a "Harp Blowoff" near the close of the show that is for sure going to blow the roof off. Al Lerman is the Harp Player/Sax man from Canada's Juno/Maple Blues award band - Fathead. And Roly Platt is one of the most coveted Canadian harmonica players, who has been on the scene for over 25yrs. His history covers a long stint with the Legendary Ronnie Hawkins - Hundreds of sessions. No wonder Harmonica Knights crosses borders and features many different artists from across the land.

Sunday November 21 - 1pm - 3pm 2 (50min.) sets
Wickens Knight - http://www.dylanwickens.com
Dylan has been working his blues show for many years around the Ontario circuit, and doing a real fine job. He recently he formed this band with John Knight (guitar and vocals), who seems to be the catalyst in taking the "show over the top. Dylan has jumped several notches lately in his command on the guitar, quoting "Time well spent" as the key to the success of this act. Wickens Knight is the right fit for a very strong rhythm section featuring Tom Bona - drums (Sue Foley) and Harpo on Bass. Here's a band that will be on the scene with for a very long time.

Sunday November 21tst 4pm - 7pm - 2 sets
Jack de Keyzer - http://www.jackdekeyzer.com
2003 Juno/award winning album "6 String Lover" took Jack over the top. For a guitar player/song writer, who works really hard at his trade, it was lovely to see him catch that title. But those of us who know of Jack know that he is forever delivering on a nightly basis. His shows are "top shelf". Great singing and "Groove" are the highlights from this man's shows. Not to mention he nails all the styles of the sounds we love to hear, with no lack of dedication or taste. Look for some funky guitar playing from one of our true greats. This is a sincere blues musician that always Rocks. This night will be no different. Jack always keeps em yelling for more.

Mark Stafford

Thank You
Mark Stafford
(416) 533-3454