[Harp-L] Really doing it

Who is really playing music using overblows? Who's really doing it? With apologies, I cannot go there. I have some definite opinions, but any discussion of them would soon proceed to "What about [insert name here], why don't you think he/she is really doing it?" And I would not care to reply in a public forum.

I would, however, like to share my thoughts on what really doing it means. For me, it comes down to three T's:

Tune
Tone
Time.

First and foremost, you have to play your notes in tune. Most people play their overblows flat and their overdraws sharp. And a lot of players are shaky on the intonation of their regular bends, particularly the intermediate draw bends in holes 2 and 3, the hole 6 draw bend, and the hole 10 intermediate blow bend. If you can't play in tune, you're not really doing it as I define "it."

Second, the notes must all be strong. That is not to say that all of the notes must have the same focus and timbre, because that is impossible. Such consistency is unattainable even among the open notes and the ordinary draw and blow bends. But these differences can be minimized to a great degree, and they must be minimized in order to really be doing it according to my conception of "it". While an overblow will never sound like an unbent note, it can nonetheless be played strongly and with confidence just as a bend will never sound like an open note but can be played strongly and with confidence. On a well set up harmonica, overblows and overdraws can be played with a clean attack, can be sustained indefinitely, and can be played with vibrato.

Finally, the techniques used in producing the various notes must be well enough developed and **internalized** that they do not interfere with the musician's time. The hard bends (including, but not limited to, the overblows and overdraws) can be stumbling blocks. In playing a passage with a difficult bend, it is a common experience to be able to play the passage perfectly until the bend, then require a tiny amount of extra time to execute the bend. Meanwhile, the music has moved on and the player is lagging behind...now playing out of time. I think this is what Ben Felten (bless his plain-speaking soul) means when he says "lost rhythmic patterns." Playing out of time is obvious even to people who are not sensitive to poor intonation. It sounds bad to everyone. You're not really doing it unless and until you can play what you play in time.

Venturing out onto thinner ice, I skate over to a fourth T:

Temerity.

This is defined in my dictionary as heedless disregard of danger (or, alternatively, foolish disregard of danger). Overblows are just notes, but they are dangerous notes because it is easier to play them out of tune or to play them weakly or to "crack" them. Many people approach them like they're poisonous spiders. Hunched shoulders, furrowed brow, weak attack, thin tone, out of time....I have even been counseled by one highly respected player to carefully pick the places I use overblows and overdraws so that they don't stand out or weaken the musical line. This I reject; it is not really doing it. Picture the harmonica as a sprawling city. Really doing it is walking fearlessly through all its neighborhoods, at all hours, with your head held high.

George