[Harp-L] Tongue block width plus bottom holes

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sean stephens

Sorry, my question then is this,after starting on
hole2 blocking #1 and moving upwards to 3b
blocking#1@2 and so on, when playing a walking 12
bar/shuffle ,blues101 theme, should you eventually end
up using a three hole  block or continue with 2 holes
especially when playing counterpoint below the melody
note.

===========Winslow says:

Your tongue block width should be informed by two things:

1. What you are comfortable with as a default (2, 3 holes, whatever)

2. The intervals you are likely to need next on the other side of
your mouth.

I do a lot of split interval playing lately as well as some switching
between right and left. Most (but not all) the time I lead with the
right. The left needs to be ready to do a spilt with a middle block
of anywhere from 1 to 5 goles, mostly between 1 and 3 holes. So for
me, the block needs to be ready to expand and contract while I'm
playing. My default block is probably (I haven't tried to measure) 2
holes.

============

Also, when on #4draw and you are going to gliss
down to #1draw quickly <do you revert/convert to a
pucker or to a right block .

===========Winslow says:

Converting on the fly from TB to pucker while in motion is trickier
than just staying with tongue block.

When discussing tongue blocking below Hole 4, players often seem
unaware of the possibility of "air blocking" - tongue blocking in
open space off the left end of the harp. This way you can tongue
block from the right side of your mouth al the way down to Hole 1. It
may look funny, but your tongue IS blocking that part of your mouth,
so you can keep an airtight seal.

Winslow