[Harp-L] Re: OB style Klezmer on the diatonic - introducing JasonRosenblatt

Just wondering what criteria you use when evaluating what is "doing it right"?

All I can see is there is tone and there is intonation. Other issues like musicality are not strictly OB issues; they are common to all musicians.

BTW I'm not trying to defend OB artist, just trying to gain some insight.

You need not answer, I realize this subject may be embarassing although maybe people need to learn; there are not many to coach them.

Pierre

I can't answer for Chris, obviously.

However, I think there are several reasons why, in my opinion, very few are "doing it right" and none of them, even Howard Levy, much as I admire him, are "doing it right" all the time.

Let me explain.

First of all, you can't dissociate technique and musicality. It is often said that technique is merely a tool for music (often by people who are overly technical, in my opinion), but playing happens in the instant. In the spur of the moment when you actually play, technique and musicality are completely intertwined.

Now many "overblowers" feel, and often rightly so, that they can play things that most laymen can't. The problem, is that they end up playing these things because they can. And that's not musical, that's pure technique. So first of all, there's very often a matter of taste involved. Playing stuff not because it sounds great, or music, but because you can and others can't.

The other aspect that I often hear listening to records by overblowers is overconfidence. Because they are so proficient technically, they think they can pull off stuff that, in fact, they can't quite pull off. They overreach, of you will. Give me any record by Howard Levy (and I have many) and I'll point out to you the choked notes, the lost rhythmic patterns, etc. They're all in there. Most often, it doesn't affect the overall quality of the music. Sometimes, it does. As you go down the pyramid from HL, which, unfortunately you have to do since nearly all overblowers worship at Howards' fount, these things get more frequent, more annoying, and the overall quality of the music goes down.

I remember discussing this with one of the top guys of that particular crowd in Europe. The man can play jazz that will make your jaw drop, be-bop at breaking pace, etc. When I asked him why he never played slow, he had the honesty of admitting that the chances that an overblow will squeak or sound odd when playing slow are much higher. How is that a musical decision ?

Anyway, after yesterday's discussion, I went and dug up Jason Rosenblatt's CD, and although not perfect, it's very nice because he has a lot of obvious technical baggage that he does not use. He plays what needs to be played to make the music sound good, and that's just how it should be. I will be reviewing it very soon.

Ben