[Harp-L] Bending at the back of the throat

Dave (& all),
                    I began 'bending-while-tongue-blocking' after listening to old-time country players like Onie
Wheeler, Wayne Raney, Lonnie Glosson and Palmer McAbee. These fellers do that 'Lost John' or fox-chase 'choke-harp'
thing, and a sound is worth a thousand words at least.
                    I teach blues-harp to groups in'adult education classes, and one of the most challenging things is
communicating the physical mechanics of bending.
                    One explanation I regard as important that I have not yet noticed on harp-l, is the moving of the
larynx, voice-box or 'Adams  apple', which is something that, at least in men, can be observed in a mirror.
                    With the visible part of the tongue held against the instrument, it is this part of the body that
you can focus on to help you bend.
Best of luck,
Rick Dempster