[Harp-L] Re: Bending at the back of the throat

It´s not my intention to make a contribution to this very
interesting thread G started on the list and caused some curious
questions about the how to.

However, I just saw a TV report which exactly matched the subject.

It was an interview with highly qualified musicians of a chamber music
group all playing wind instruments. The artists explained how the
mouthpieces of their instruments (clarinet, oboe, horn, trumpet) have
to be constructed, how the lips, tongue, mouth cavity have to be
positioned around the mouthpieces and what kind of blowing technic
has to be applied to achieve the best possible musical effect.

Then came the point of the feature. Endoscopes with lights were pushed
into the cavity together with the instrument mpc and while the musicians
played a camera recorded the position and motions of the tongue
sections and uvula and the changing of the cavity deep down up to
the  throat.

Moreover, one clarinetist even took the trouble to have the endoscope
cable through his nasal cavity into the mouth cavity so that one could
see now also the "playing parts" of instrument & body from above and
behind.

When I saw these exciting pictures it really knocked my socks off
and reminded me of Howard Levy. I have the video where Howard`s
cavity was recorded while playing harp but that was years ago. In the
meantime the medical technic has developed considerably.

Upshot: If anybody is really interested to see how the throat manages the
bending or wants to see the K spot, it´s all prepared, don`t hesitate.

Siegfried