[Harp-L] Offline/Online

I just got an email from Eric N.  Thanks Eric, I do really enjoy debating harmonica stuff.   Anyway, I sent a response to him only, instead of the list.  Was I supposed to reply on-list or off?  I get the digest, but the message came straight to me, so I replied straight back.  I'd hate to waste bandwidth on a long (yet fun) discussion/debate for two.  I'd also hate to have 1/2 of the discussion only make it to the list.  Little help here on harp-l protocol....?

p.s.  Here's a question with some harp content:  Like beauty, is TONE in the eye (ear) of the beholder?