[Harp-L] Re: A Night in Tunisia

"I've never heard it what CD can I buy?"

There are probably hundreds of versions of this song available.  Although Dizzy Gillespie wrote it
and recorded it first, the reference point that most jazz fans would use was recorded by Charlie
Parker with Miles Davis on the Dial label.  Here is a link to the cheapest CD I could find
containing that side, only $5.98!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005K9ZW/qid=1100496478/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/104-1130154-5989563?v=glance&s=music

Bird's "Famous Alto Break" was recorded during an incomplete outtake from that session and is not
included on this bargain CD, but the break on the master take was pretty similar.  If you want the
"Famous Alto Break" I think you can find it on a box set called "The Complete Dial Sessions."

Now as I said, there are MANY other recordings of this tune.  This was Dizzy Gillespie's signature
tune and Bird's "famous alto break" notwithstanding, Dizzy's own recordings of the tune should not
be overlooked.

And being a big fan of vocalese, I'm particulary enamored of Eddie Jefferson's big band vocal
rendition which is taken at a much more reasonable tempo for harmonica than Bird's version.