[Harp-L] jason ricci @ mexicali blues

another amazing show last night.  went to see jason ricci
and new blood at mexicali blues in teaneck.  this guy is
just unbelievable; he plays the most amazing stuff, from
all over the place.  he played fast songs, slow songs,  blues
standards, original songs, funk, jazz.  he played little
walter and paul butterfield, herbie mann and john coltrane.
he played a lovely "amazing grace".  he played
bach, for crissakes.

the really sad part is that he played all this
astonishing stuff and ONLY 30 PEOPLE HEARD IT.
unbelievable.  it's driving me nuts that i haven't
been able to scare up a crowd for this guy from the various
other mailing lists i'm on.  i feel like Cassandra, doomed to
issue prophecies that nobody believes.

jason told me after the show that he plays
300 nights a year, and that after fuel and lodging,
last night's gig would end up costing him $120.
yes, that's right.  he plays at a loss.  there's
something just *so* wrong about that.

highlights for me include a "feel good funk" > "turkish coffee"(?)
that went for 1/2 hour or so, a ripping original, "my head is a
bad neighborhood", and a coltrane tribute, a long medley of songs
including "my favorite things" and a killer "afro blue".  all
with the most amazing jams in between.  he's definitely playing
in that "out there" space that all your favorite bands visit
regularly.

the good news is that my friend dave barfield showed up,
and recorded this tasty show.  listening today, the tape
sounds great.  once i get through carving
it up, i'll be making it available at archive.org, and
maybe BT or other means, as well (with jason's concurrence).
this music really *needs* to get out.  and jason really deserves
to be heard by a much wider audience.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.