Re: [Harp-L] High A harmonica?

G  wrote:
>>From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
>> An older Hohner catalogue lists the keys. First off, look
>> under "Piccolo" harp (the actual name for it). Vest Pocket
>> is mentioned in parenthesis, and it was THIS name that sort
>> of stuck with the model

>As an aside I have it from a reliable source Hohner's ~official
>name~ of the harmonica was originally the Vest Pocket Harp. This
>name was then later changed to Piccolo, although it may have been
>made under that name in Europe earlier.

I happen to have one of these instruments and the name on the top coverplate
reads M. HOHNER'S VEST POCKET HARP".  It's not new.  Doug Tate gave it to me
some time ago from his own harp collection, [and if you think I'm going to
speculate from that info how old it is, fugedaboudit!  Happy Birthday again,
Doug! ;)]

Smokey Joe also said:
>>In any case, the keys listed for the Piccolo are Bb B C D E F G A
>>and Cm Fm & Gm. These are STANDARD PITCH The Vest Pocket ( SUB -
>>model) is in G HIGH and A HIGH. These are ONE OCTAVE HIGHER than
>>standard.

My instrument is a High A.

So, I guess I agree with both sides in this dispute.  Maybe the idea was that
you could either pick the higher Vest Pocket, or "Piccolo" harp! :)

Ain't harplife a kick?
=[BOBBIE]=

||  h a r p  v e s t e d  h e r e  || SPAH Members Support Harp-L! ||