Re: [Harp-L] High A harmonica?

>On Nov 10, 2004, at 8:06 AM, G wrote:
>>   Can anyone clarify whether these are currently available
>> in keys  other
>> than C?  Hohner's catalogue doesn't list the keys
>> available.
>> -- G.

>Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:47:31 -0500
>From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
>  Hi my good buddy Greg.
> An older Hohner catalogue lists the keys. First off, look
> under "Piccolo" harp (the actual name for it). Vest Pocket
> is mentioned in parenthesis, and it was THIS name that sort
> of stuck with the model as it is only about 3 1/2" total
> length (9/16ths shorter than standard).
8<
>In any case, the keys listed for the Piccolo are Bb B C D E F
> G A and Cm Fm & Gm. These are STANDARD PITCH
> The Vest Pocket (SUB-model) is in G HIGH and A HIGH. These
> are ONE OCTAVE HIGHER than standard.
> As for the high sound of the Vest Pocket, some tunes
> required a change in key (a bridge for example). It is no
> secret that  when going into this key change, it (generally)
> doesn't sound right to go DOWN in pitch. As most of the work
> on Richter tuned harps is done on the lower half of the harp
> anyway, and since the upper half is set up differently
> anyway... 8<
>
>hope this helps...... smo-joe

Hey there Joe,
  Thank you for taking time to write your interesting response.  It is true
the earlier catalogues list the wide range of keys - I can see that in my
1980s copy.  However I was wanting to find out what Hohner produce in their
factories today, rather than what they used to make.  Any help with this
would be useful.

As an aside I have it from a reliable source Hohner's ~official name~ of
the harmonica was originally the Vest Pocket Harp.  This name was then
later changed to Piccolo, although it may have been made under that name in
Europe earlier.
-- G.