[Harp-L] re: Tremolo or Reverb (and now, Delay?)

From: "Jp Pagan" <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 10:25 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] re: Tremolo or Reverb (and now, Delay?)

> hi all,
>   ok.. a beginner's question: what's the diff between
> delay and reverb? i happened upon an audiophile site
> that describes delay as being a
> repetition/reproduction of a specific sound,
> individually identifiable sound, but reverb as being
> the repro of a sound that is less individuated. am i
> way off base?
>   my understanding is you can fake reverb with a
> delay pedal, but not the other way around. is that
> right?
>    last question - any suggestions on settings? for
> example, what kind of setting, more or less give you
> "slapback"? or how do you get a nice, "bottom of the
> well" reverb?
>    (in my case, i'm using a Danelectro PB&J, but i
> was thinking in general terms)
>   thanks all
>  --Jp

Hi Jp,
  You know I hadn't noticed the Dan Electro PB&J delay pedal until you
mentioned it right now.   For all intents and purposes it looks like a mini
version of the Dan Echo sans Hi-Cut control.   I generally go one of two
ways with the setup for filling out my sound.
* Mix half way, fast delay, speed dialed half way, repeats set about half
way.  The idea being its fast enough and faint enough to fake a reverb like
effect, and fills out your sound without being obnoxious about it.
* Mix 3/4, fast delay, speed set to slowest, 1 or 2 repeats.  Basic
analogue slap back, dial speed to taste.
I always have the Hi Cut control dialed right down so theres minimal treble
going on.

Its fun to toy around with, but unless you're in a jam or studio, without
the ability to tap the speed, you generally need to find generic settings
-although if you're into psychodelic '60s rock its got more to offer.  :)

Reverb - short for reverberation.   Caves, underground parking lots, sewage
pipes, your bathroom are all examples of reverb.  The sound bounces off
surfaces reaching your ears diffused and seemingly randomly.

Echo - early echo effects were audio tape machines with an infinite loop a
record head, and two or more play back heads.   Simple enough concept, it
records you once, then plays it back at a given interval and mix.  The
heads can be shifted to space them out, or bring them in quick.  A cool
effect you can get is to vary the tape speed as you're playing which of
course changes the pitch of the echos which is pretty cool.

Delay - Echo taken to the extreme.  No more heads no more tape, the only
limitations to the speed or number of times it can repeat is the design of
the circuitry.  Unit takes your signal, then repeats it back any number of
times fading away with each repeat at a given rate.

Also theres analogue delay and digital delay.  Analogue soft, warm and
maybe a bit noisey (originally using analogue circuitry), digital crisp,
clean and more distinct because of it (using digital circuitry).   Although
with the stuff available today the design of the pedal doesn't dictate the
tonal qualities like it did before - digital effect units can emulate
analogue effects very convincingly - they're turnkey computers rather than
purpose designed circuits - in a manner of speaking.

Looping - signal is recorded, and played back ad infinitum without fading
away.

It hadn't occured to me before now, but I'm thinking it might be an idea to
do a couple of sound bites, one with delay, and one with reverb up on my
amp'd harp site.  They're the two effects I recommend to players new to rigs.
-- G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/amplified.html