Re: [Harp-L] playing in a band setting/jamming

Peter Wright wrote:
> I'm thinking it may be another 3 years before I'm ready for my
> first jam.  I think "improvisation" is a complete misnomer.

The best thing about jams is that no one expects it to be perfect.
There's no such thing as a mistake.  Some things work and some thing
don't.  Some part of what each person plays is better than other
parts.  The cool part for everyone is when it comes together.  Jams
provide opportunities for this to happen.  I've been involved in
very few jams that didn't produce *some* cool results.  Those were
when everyone was just listening to themselves play and not leaving
lots of space for the others.

I grew up listening to bands like the Allman Brothers, who were
infamous for songs like "Mountain Jam", which is a jam on the
tune "First There is a Mountain", that went on for two complete
sides of the original vinyl album, more than 30 minutes.  The entire
two record set of "Eat a Peach" contained a scant nine songs, and
their prior double live release, "Live at the Filmore East" had only
seven, including a 23-minute version of "Whipping Post"!  It's a
little taxing to listen to now (not under the influence), but the
dynamics, the mix of grooves and themes, is a great study in
jamming.  It was easy for me to transistion to Paul Butterfield-
style playing, because it has a similar improvisational feel.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/