[Harp-L] re:playing in a band

Junior wrote:

"I'm thinking it may be another 3 years before I'm ready for my first jam."

First off, Junior is underestimating his chops. I heard his demo CD. The guy can
play. Second, there's no better way to learn than to jump in and play with some
friends.

A young guy just learning to play guitar asked my friend Steve if he thought in
terms of scales or chords when he was improvising his leads. Steve said he
thinks about trying not to screw up too bad,. This is after 30+ years of
playing.

Playing in a band is good practice. You play for hours. You play all sorts of
stuff you'd never play by yourself. You mostly have to learn to play a lot
less, to be real polite and cheerful with your band mates, remember not to get
real drunk and obnoxious and hit on the drummer's wife, those kind of things.
Nothing more fun than to be in your 40s, own a big honking amp, and play in a
bar band.

Remember to listen and don't worry to much when you hit a wrong note.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm