RE: [Harp-L] old beginner - pucker or tongue block

Ideally I think it's best to know both methods.  However, if you are
going to focus on one of the other I think Tongue Blocking is the
superior method.  If anyone wants to challenge the comments of this
predominately puckerer then I will refer you to the sound of Phil
Isko.

If I were starting again and knowing what I know now I'd be a tongue
blocker.
Chris Michalek

Chris is right - learn both methods. I can only pucker (doesn't seem the right word for what I do, but it isn't tongue-blocking, that's for sure). This is because I was pig-headed enough to carry on for years without seeking tuition or any other assistance - big mistake. Now, in my 50s, I'm having trouble learning anything radically new. If you think a CD-type tutor is the way to go, buy Jerry Portnoy's CD set. You can't progress at all well through this without learning to tongue-block - and he tells you how to do it, and he's a very good teacher. I need to spend regular bouts of time on this stuff, but my discipline isn't up to much. I need to sit down and identify the benefits tongue-blocking would bring to me in the music I play, because things seem reasonably hunky-dory at the moment without it and I need to find motivation from somewhere. New Year's resolution coming up......

I will say this, though, and it isn't meant to be anti-TB whatsoever: you can be a very good harmonica player even if you only pucker. You will have some limitations, true, but don't go thinking that you're useless without TBing. With puckering you can play fast, clean single notes and you can do whatever bending or overblowing (as if I'd know..) that you care to do. You can get good tone and all the rest of it. Doing it all with a good dash of musicianship thrown in is the thing to aim for, but that's a different story!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger