From: "john kuzloski" <jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 4:12 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] vocal mic with band

> When I'm sittin' in with an electric band, it seems that the vocal mics
are set so you have to be right on top of them to be heard.  I assume this
is done to prevent feedback.  Unfortunately, it also prevents the preferred
"acoustic" playing distance of at least a few inches to allow full hand
effects.  Is this just "how it is" or is there a way around it?

> (Of course, playing hand held into an amp or PA is a way around it, but
that's not the same playing style; a ring-style mic allows an
"approximation" of acoustic, hand effect style, but I'm wondering more about
the possibility of staying with a mic on a stand.  For example, is there a
different kind of mic that kept well away from the monitors that would pick
up the harmonica sound from a few inches away w/o feedback?  Or do I just
need to ask the sound person to turn me up?)