Re: [Harp-L] Jam band harpmen

Jonathan Hill wrote:
"Anyone know any good harp players that play in jam bands besides
Popper?"

Check out Craig Struble, working with CT-based band Fivewise.  They've
just released a CD.  Craig plays beautifully with this group, and he
uses a Leslie speaker better than a lot of organists do.

"I've basically found myself smack dab in the middle of one and we're
getting some fantastic response around town."

Cool.

"I'm struggling right now because of our PA situation, though. We're
gradually putting the scratch together to buy one by opening for friends
who DO have PA's and that kind of thing. But because I've never had a
monitor, I'm constantly struggling to hear myself and can't play some of
the subtler things I've worked on at home. Spending all that time in the
woodshed  (my bedroom) has done me plenty of good, but I had no idea
how much good equipment can make a difference."

Well, that problem should go away when you fix the PA situation, yes?
If the PA situation doesn't work out quickly enough, consider buying a
used keyboard amp, like one of the Roland MC series, or the Peavey KB/A
series.  A keyboard amp is basically a self-contained PA amp; most of
them even have XLR mic inputs, and most models also have a line-out jack
that can go stright to the PA. If you want loud and clear, it's the way
to go. Alesis has just announced a new series of keyboard amps with
builtin digital FX, and very low prices for the power output.  My Peavey
KB/100A puts out 65 watts through a 15" speaker and a horn, and it moves
plenty of air for most gigs.  You should be able to get something in
very good condition used in the 65-100 watt range for around $200.

"I THINK what I want is a mellow tone. I like a big fat tone
just as much as the next guy, but in the context of our band (two
acoustic guitars, me and a djembe player), I think I want something
pretty mellow. I tend to find myself playing lines that are fairly
cello-like (using the harp as atmosphere rather than melody), or
percussively and sometimes little melodies or licks that I've made
up."

Also cool.

"A lot of my stuff is blues-inspired, but usually I'm trying to mask
that influence rather than amplify it. So I'm needing some advice.
What kind of mics and amps and effects would help a guy like me?
Usually, I play through a bullet and my Crate VC-20 for small venues
and for larger ones, I'll play through the PA."

A bullet plus a VC-20 -- which is a tube amp, and a blues mic -- is not
going to give you anything but Chicago-style amped harp.  Consider
changing mics to something with a wider frequency range, such as a
decent vocal mic.  (Check the Pro Pages at my website --
http://hunterharp.com/propage1.html -- to see what mics pros working in
different styles use.)  Consider buying an A-B switcher pedal so you can
hit a foot switch and bypass the amp.  Spend $100-200 for a good reverb,
like the Lexicon MPX110, and a good delay pedal.  Delay is the single
most dramatic and versatile effect anyone can have; the Lexicon also
does very nice delays, including tap tempo delays.  For a floor mounted
delay, consider the Boss DD-5.  Consider an amp modeler pedal; the
Behringer V-AMP2 is now selling for less than $100 new, and the Digitech
RP200 goes new for about $150.  Either will open up a lot of tones, and
both include lots of effects, including good delays.

"I'm blowing SP20's and, rarely, my CX-12. I'm looking to upgrade/change
any of these elements so I can find a better fit, so any suggestions
welcome. :-)"

Lots of pros use these harps.  You can certainly experiment with
customized instruments -- I own a few myself, and they're definitely fun
to play.  Before anything else, though, I'd consider changing the rig
from the mic forward.

By the way, if you like the sound of the bullet and the VC-20, don't
sell them.  Never sell a piece of gear that makes a sound that inspires
you, even if your taste is changing. Years can go by, and you pick up
that piece of gear and play it, and the magic comes back.  Don't sell
the magic.

Regards, Richard Hunter