Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Injuries

On Nov 4, 2004, at 2:18 PM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

You do not (need) much more effort than is used in breathing normally and drinking a
glass of water to play a harmonica. Any additional effort used is unnecessary
unless you are going for some EXTREME effect (ie - jumping around the stage
like a mad person while playing).

The Iceman
_

I GOTTA tell ya that I have been trying my dambdest to keep quiet on this issue, but you guys keep pulling me back in. I have been thinking about this "serial-hernia" thing and came to some conclusions as to why I don't think it's a very swell idea.

Some of the fellows mentioned are not exactly A#1m emperor of the north pole when it comes to their standing in the overall harmonica world. No dis-respect intended. But it seems to me that the effort being expended is incongruous to the ultimate result(s).

Scenario: Let's say a man is 45 yrs old and has a transcipital/oxcipital hernia. A surgeon will usually try to fix it without mesh. He will usually dictate anywhere from 30 days (MIN) as a starting point on up to a day per each year of age of the patient. Thusly, we are talking about 45 days recuperation. This comes to 6 1/2 weeks of which 13 days are normal days off.
Some employers are going to pay you for 32 days sick time and you "eat" the 13 days off. Others will cover your days off as sick time and pay you the whole 45. THIS equates to anywhere from $3660.54 NET to $5147.64 NET (using myself as a guide). That's just for the PAY. Then there's the OR, lab costs, surgeon, antisthesiologist, dressings, medicines, fluids, and on and on. It could easily cost 12.5K to 19K to do a hernia.
So the first time this happens, there shouldn't be any sweat. A SECOND time will lead to problems.

Note. While you are off, someone else has to cover for you. Beings that economy is based on very little profit margin and in this country (at least) it is held bouyant by high productivity, someone is loosing somewhere. This will come back to haunt. Resentment, undependability, etc.

Scenario: Let's say that you are self employed. If you have your own HMO coverage, you don't have as much pressure from your employer to "get back to work", but a subsequent operation will put you into the "watched closely" area, and subsequent surgery will probably result in your being dropped or having your rates go through the roof. Of course if you have NO coverage, you just simply pay out of your pocket. Arrrrrgh. So HERE's a good argument against socialized health coverage, eh wot?

There are some employers out there who have certain guidelines for what you can & cannot do. A lot of places don't like (some don't even PERMIT) you to partake in sojourns which are deemed to be of the, shall we say, "Too Risky" nature. THIS is exactly why. They don't want the burden. And why SHOULD they be burdened. It's one thing to seek nifty types of recreation, but some people go to extremes. Your employer hired YOU, not your hobbies.
Example: after 27 hrs of flight instruction, I went and got myself a "weed-hopper" (ultra-light). I was told to get rid of it.

Scenario: I know a man, who over a period of years, kept advancing at his job. With the advancements came greater pay. He used some of these excess monies to get involved in ever increasing risk (sports?). Repititious injuries kept him away from his job more than he was present AT it. The employer finally got fed up and ushered him out on a disability. They realized that he was NOW getting 70% pension. If he would have retired normally, he would have gotten only 50+- %. They said they didn't care because it was costing them too much to keep him around.

Consclusion: I had intended to write about 3 pages, but I didn't have the heart to subject you fine people to this any longer. I go back to the closet now. But my suggestions to anyone contemplating a hernia risk:
1. Stop using tungsten-carbide reeds
2. Stop setting them at 8.5 mm (about 1/3 INCH)
3. For assisting on draw notes, consider using a refridgeration vacuum pump
4. For assisting on blow notes, consider using a scuba compressor pump
5. Bind the fragile parts of your abdominal area with steel belted radial tire(s).

smokey-joe & the cafe s