RE: [Harp-L] An illustrative story.

Jams and gigs are two different monsters. And sitting in on a gig, is different as well.

One thing I occasionally find lacking in other harp players (indeed, other players generally) is generosity, sharing and humility. After a song, offer to step down. IF you're asked back, that's a boost, indeed. If you're not asked back up, you've refrained from foisting yourself on an unappreciative audience. They appreciate that, too. And they may ask you back sooner, knowing you won't be a hog. And buttonhole players later for feedback, sometimes it's helpful.

At our Elmtree Blues Society jams (here in Pasadena, CA) usually only players are invited, no audience. We will have some good ol' pros and some real raw newbies, ages from 10 to 80, with pro equip and a laid back open-ness. My approach (as the self-anointed Impresario of the EBS) is that without an audience, the playing is for the players, it reduces performance anxiety for the newbies and give kids and newbies a chance to play with the real pros with no risk. And everyone has fun.

It's gut bucket blues under a tree, and anything is allowed as long as you're polite and sharing. People come back, including the pros, because it aint' about cutting heads, just celebrating making music. But some don't get invited back, if they're not cool about being relaxed, supportive and sharing. Of course, I'm talking more about plank-spankers than gobironists.

At gigs of course the paid muso's need to get the job done, so if they invite you up you'd damned well better not detract from their sound, no matter how thrilled you are!

But I for one love seeing newbies get the thrill and be given a chance, even if it makes me cringe occasionally.

And finally, it seems that alcohol, etc., is a common factor in trainwrecks and poor listening skills. Liquid courage is also a liquid earmuff. And weed may relax you, but also make it harder to keep track. Moderation in all things, my children. (Including moderation, but that's another issue...)

Of course, I know the rules, someday I hope to follow them.

_Dave "Dr. D" Fertig
ELmtree Blues Society  "Where the only dues you pay are the blues you play!"

Setting the aim is a factor in jams