unresponsive reed

Hi folks,
I just got a Hohner Special 20 in low F, the third hole blow isn't always
responsive. E.g., if I just blow in it it's fine, but if I do a few notes
around #4 and slide over 3 to hole 2 blow, then 3 doesn't sound, rather like
lots of hot air going through it but no vibration. I've read about
re-gapping but haven't been very succesful with that on an (el-cheapo)
Hohner Hot-Metal in G that I bought last year. I haven't had problems with
all my other S20's (a C, D and a G) out-of-the-box so I'm wondering if I
should just exchange it or if I just haven't applied the re-gapping
technique properly in the past (a bit wary of doing it to the S20 given its
price). Thanks,
Oliver