Re: Mini Recorder

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Lister" <ric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Anyone got suggestions for a digital mini recorder.  I want to record my
> > practice and be able to download it to my PC.
> >
> > Is an MP3 recorder what I need?
>
> You could always record direct to your PC.

You may have the software on your machine to do it already.  The Creative
Technologies package that came with my Sound Blaster card has an icon on my
desktop labelled "shortcut to CT Launcher."  It places a control bar at the
top of the screen.  Selecting the "Recorder" button places a tape machine
type control panel on the screen that allows me to record, play back, change
volume/recording level, etc.  It even has a little VU meter for getting the
recording level right.  It creates *.WAV files.

I downloaded a program called "InTex MP3 Encoder" that will convert the WAV
file to MP3 at various sampling rates.

Although not very directional, the cheap little electret mics that plug into
the computer are pretty darn good hi-fi wise.  You can put them in your
cupped hands while you play harmonica. They are tiny condenser mics with
built-in FET impedance-reducing amplifiers.  I would buy an expensive mic
only if I found that after trying it, I was unhappy with the cheapie
electret.

If your computer doesn't have these capabilities, your cheapest way to get
digital recording capability might be to buy the Sound Blaster card with the
software described.

Vern

Visit my harmonica website: www.hands-free-chromatic.7p.com