Re: Steve Baker Special - any hints or tips?

- --- Jervis Groeneveld <jervis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I wondered: are there people out there who
> play the SBS, and could you share some not-so-
> obvious tricks now that you have 3 extra and
> wonderful low-holes to the left?

Hey Jervis,

I really like the SBS harp too (I own one in C and
another in D)

Something I really like to do with this baby is to
get a "call-and-response" thing going where you
call from the lower octave and answer from higher
up.

Set up a nice rhythm chug using the bottom end and
then answer it with licks from the "heart" of the
harp an octave higher. You can get a real nice back
and forth thing going that way.

Great for Sonny Boy Williamson type rhythms. My
favorite song for doing this is his "Bye Bye Bird."

Another thing I like to do is to start a blues song
off in the "normal" register, but head "downstairs"
on the IV chord. Navigating from there is a total
blast using your newly available octaves.

Have fun!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens