Re: Learning to Overblow

Steve Shaw (whom I greatly admire) wrote:
> I sometimes wonder what they must be making of all this overblow
> stuff, put up here by a few alpha-grade players who seem to want to
> put forth the idea that harp-playing isn't complete without
> overblowing.  It just ain't true, is it?

Hmmmm, I must've missed that post.  Seems to me that just about
everyone who participates in this list talks most about what they
know best, whether it's how to use overblows to get the missing notes
not available on the tuning they've chosen, or how to swap preamp
tubes to get that perfect combination of crunch and smoothness in
their '65 Fender Twin, or whether to choose just or some type of
tempered tuning for a particular style of music.  I think it's
equally true that no one thinks their way is the "one true path" to
harmonica nirvana.

I love to hear about how different players solve problems, whether
they are problems of tuning or tone, of available notes or available
tonal coloration, whateer.  I don't think anyone is trying
to "convert" me.  And I've stolen some very good ideas from lots of
people of lots of different abilities on this list.

Not knowing how to do something is a limitation, whether it's sight
reading or overblowing or playing fast enough on an altered tuning to
pull of a respectable reel.  We all have limitations, and we all
attempt to make "sweet music" while playing within our "existing
limits".

- -tim