Re: 11-12th position

I think you've gotten some good and useful responses to assist you in =
sitting in at a Jazz Jam as a "Jazz Newbie". Learning new positions =
(11th, 12th) are invaluable when learning Jazz tunes on the diatonic.

    However, I would tend to approach it a little differently, =
especially if your coming from a "Blues & Country" background. The trick =
is you want to shed all that great theory and position stuff, at HOME =
and it will take some time before your ready to bring 11th, 12th and =
OB'ing to the stage. But in the interim, you want to "get your feet wet" =
so to speak, playing with "the Jazz Cats" at the local club.

    Pick 1 or 2 "Jazz" blues tunes and One Duke tune, your were right =
about picking "Don't get Around Much Anymore" as it set's up nice in 2nd =
with or w/o the melody maker approach. The problem is all the "cats" do =
that song in "C" so calling it in "A", although not unplayable feels a =
bit weird to the players. You could use a low F in Cross if you would =
prefer more of a Big Walter approach to the Melody. As the regular F =
does sit a lil' high especially on the Bridge section. Another great =
Duke song in 2nd is "In a Mellowtone" (Ab) use a Db harp and no OB's =
needed.

    The 2 Jazz-Blues I'd suggest are known by most Jazz Cats and you'll =
be able to play the Melodies and solos nicely in 2nd w/o any OB's. Even =
though, I've suggested some 'stock' keys, it really doesn't matter what =
key you call it in as it's a Blues and they won't care. Though, for =
groups with Horn players, you should always try to call it in a 'Flat' =
key as it just sits better ie: F, Eb, Bb, Ab etc...............

Sandu (Eb) or (F)..... Clifford Jordan
SonnyMoon for Two (Bb).....Sonny Rollins

After you've sat in a few times with these, you'll continue shedding the =
more advanced concepts at home and when your ready to debut a tune using =
12th w/ some OB's you'll have the confidence on stage and hopefully have =
already gained the respect of the Jazz Musicians and they'll be anxious =
to hear your new tune!

Hope this is helpful, all the best....Rob Paparozzi
  ----- Original Message -----=20