Re: Dialing in that " Tone " Thang

- ----- Original Missive ------
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:43:23 +1100
From: Mark Crowley <Mark.Crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dialing in that " Tone " Thang

Thanks for that, Iceman.

I had read Richard Hunter's page - and G's on going thru pas - but the
places i been am lucky to get a pa - i f i do I am never allowed near it -
monopolised by guitairists - - I can't go the expensive chicago tube route
(don't get to play those blues much anyway) and thats why i got my big old
keybrd amp when it bounced off the back of a truck.

I am getting a tone am 85% comfortable with thru an sm57 and rp200 - but if
I (even gently) play the 3&4 draw or 4&5 draw together it sets up a crunch
like a bulldozer idling - has the floor shaking beneath yr feet and that has
my lead guitarist shooting anxious glances my way -
(I got all gains as low as possible -that's 0 on the rp- bass all way up,
treble dead - reverbs and delays dead - wanting nothing fancy just a strong
clear tone -and yes, practise everyday). Octaves are ok, low bends are ok (I
thought a badly done low bend would trigger it, when yu lose the control
ofthe 'right " note  it and it goes brrrrr between the different semitiones-
but nope) - just those adjacent notes- though warbling across them is fine.
8<
Mark Crowley
- ----- ------

Hi Mark,
  Pat Missin just recently posted an excellent thread of emails to harp-L on
harmonica tuning.  He started out by explaining the effects of tuning on
amplified harmonica.

The huge rumbles you are getting when you play draw intervals are a result
of the tuning of your harmonicas.   It might be worth trying out a 7 limit
Just Intonation harmonica which doesn't create the beats and difference
tones that are making themselves apparent with your rig.
Just Intonation has the warm, full tonal qualities that a lot of harmonica
players are striving for with their rigs.

Lee Oskars and Hohner Golden Melodies are tuned to 12tET which will do this
a lot more than other harmonicas that are tuned to JI or a compromise
between Just Intonation and 12tET.

  Its well worth putting some time into if you are concerned about your
amplified sound.

That said if you are bending double stops, you will usually get beats
regadless of the harmonica tuning.

- -- G.
http://harmonica.7p.com