Hering´s Professional . 40 Chromatic Harmonica and Vintage 40

Hi, everybody.

Some exciting news!

Hering has come out with TWO new chroms!

I have bought one, the other I had to leave in the store.

The harmonicas are both 10 hole 40 reeds chromatics with wooden combs.

The first model is a Vintage 40 or a similar name, and, as one could guess,
it´s design follows the lines of the Vintage 1923 diatonic harp. It´s comb
has the same finish as the diatonic (red-brownish died varnish on the
outside), the coverplates are also "ouro velho" (antique gold" finished and
the mouthpiece is golden color (just brass??). I haven´t bought this harp,
although it looks very nice.

The one I bought is the Hering´s 40 Chromatic Harmonica. It is from the 51
line (5148, 5164), so I guess its code will be 5140. The comb is painted
black, and all parts are chromed.

Both harps seem to be exactly the same, save for different coverplate
engravings and finishes. the 5140 is solo tuned, but I can´t say anything
about the Vintage 40´s tuning, although I suspect that it could possibly be
"richter" tuned (ok, it´s not a tuning, it´s a construction scheme, but you
got the idea).

Prices? Here in Brazil it was around 50 dolars for the 5140 and 55 to 60 for
the Vintage 40. But those are Brazilian prices :-)

I have taken the harp apart (of course, I couldn´t help myself :-) and the
pictures are on my harp site: http://listen.to/fhb. As the site is in
portuguese, here is the direct link:
http://www.ozdobe.org/bresslau/ecafhb//imagens/galerias/hering5140/index.htm
l.

I´m posting this notice to HarpOn!, Harp-L and, although I´m not an active
member, to Slidemeister (if it doesn´t get there, I would ask some of you
who are active there to do this for me. Pat?). I am sorry for crossposting,
but I´m really excited about this "discovery". It seems that only a few
pieces of this harmonica has been delivered this week to some stores (I
bought the only 5148 from the store), and I haven´t heard them mentioned by
anyone, form Hering or outside.

Anyway, the harmonica lies very good in the hand. Although it has almost the
same size as a Slidemeister/Koch/260, it is more comfortable for the round
coverplatedges and round and chamfered mouthpieceholes.

It is very airtight and responsive. The tone is loud and nice and I am very
satisfied with it. It seems to me that the wooden comb has been treated the
same way as the Vintage. That said, it isexpected that it won´t warp due to
moisture.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Have a good week,
Fernando Bresslau