RE: re--do i need a copy right license to submit a cover song for compilation

John wrote:

I tried one of the covers we do, Hoochi Coochi Man (Gal in our case) and it
says that the minimum is 500, and the cost is $50 for just the one song, I
don't know if I would call that very little, not at least for us.

The statutory rate (careful when you say that) is 8 cents per song per copy.
Thus 500 copies of one song is $40.  Our CD has 10 covers.  500 copies is
$400.  That little 8 cents adds up fast.  Harry Fox of course charges you
for the convenience of using their service.  They also have agreements with
a large number of publishing firms representing a huge number of writers.
When we did our CD we used HF for the convenience of having it all done in
one place.  Well, most of it.  In some cases we had to track down the
writer, because they weren't represented by HF.  In those cases went sent a
check directly to the writer.  In either case, get a signed Licensing
Agreement.  This is the piece of paper that will document your transaction.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com