Re: "Keep Your Eyes On The Road and Your Hands Upon The Wheel"

Vince Daliessio wrote:

> PS - Ken is right - most driving in NJ is done while stuck in traffic. On my way back to South Jersey on Friday nights, I encounter at least 3 separate traffic jams. The delta on my trip is 3.5 hours - it takes anywhere from 2.5 to 6 hours to get home - Lots of practice time!

Allegedly Jersey has or used to have among the lowest incidences of
vehicular fatalities in the country.  No kidding.  How killed can you
get when you can't drive over 20 mph on the NJ Turnpike?  You could
probably practice the bassoon in that kind of traffic.

> PPS - I would venture to say a rack would interfere with safe driving as much as a hand-held cellphone does, or more. Particularly with a 10-hole diatonic - you would only be scanning about 30 degrees...

You'd look like someone wearing one of those post-trauma cervical collars.

A bit hard to believe that Nassau County, America's Parking Lot, has a
$1,000 fine for people using a cell phone without a hands-free apparatus
or built-in speaker.  A grand?  A bit steep, I think.  As it is, when
the Jersey law hits tomorrow, that whole pretext thing strikes me as
bullshit like most law enforcement in Jersey.  Another ground to profile
a driver--this in a state where an official in some Monmouth County town
hits someone in medias shitface, racks up her car, leaves the scene of
the accident, but then doesn't get cited for drunk driving.  Who ya
think ya are, who ya know.  But talk on a cellphone and they will find a
reason to pull you over.  "How the hell did that bottle of vodka get on
the front seat??"

Too bad even the best players among us can't do a Pied Piper number with
a Marine Band or an Overdrive or the fabled XB-40...get out of the car
and play...various Jersey public officials in and out of uniform walk
into the rivers.  Oh well, I can dream.

Ken
- --
Kenneth Wolman