Re: Get a chromatic?(warning-LONG)

Great story Joe

I love the conceptual ways different people view the minefield of music and
music theory.  I used to teach theory in school to 13 year olds mostly...
and they got to scales and harmony by discovery, not didactic "you do it
this way".  I always set them a challenge when they wanted to know how to
do something... they discovered a way and then I would ask a question or
two which lead to the next stage.   One of the challenges was discovering
what and why a key and chord sliderule (remember those) was and how damn
useful the idea could be and how you make it with one piece of exercise paper.

When I started to learn harmonica (chrom.. never got round to a proper
diatonic... good story for over a beer sometime) I couldn't afford books
and there was no music section in my town library, I could find no one in
my factory to teach me notation... so I worked out from a piece of sheet
music I found, and knew the song, what scales were, the differences
between  major and minor... and by manipulation of the pretty pictures how
chords worked... and I had two walls of my room plastered with paper with
all the failed experiments... and the final (as I was to discover later)
correct versions.  I also worked out the Root 12 frequency numbers for all
the notes on a 64 with pencil and paper! and did it for all frequencies
from 335 to 445... boy, was I a glutton for punishment?  No... I enjoyed
the challenge and the end result that I KNEW what I was talking about.
Same happened later when I had to teach symphonic analysis... I challenged
the kids to find patterns in simple folk tunes and come to
conclusions.  That made the task MUCH easier for both of us when it came to
looking at symphonies 2-3  weeks later.

So ... when I eventually found the diatonic and heard of what Howard Levy
was doing I asked my self the question "Why does someone beat themselves
over the head whilst taking poison sitting on a seat of nails with someone
shouting in their ears??"  The answer was simple for me... just look at the
results and think of the immense fun and intellectual challenge that was
faced along the route.

Luckily, in all fields of endeavour you will find people who are willing
and anxious to explore the things you can't possibly do or achieve... and
... get there... and are still dissatisfied!!!    Every instrument has
things you can't do with them... and some crazy person comes up and does it!

I love some of the writer Heinlein's sayings (mostly not original but good)
"  When someone tells you something is impossible, just go ahead and do it
anyway!"

Douglas t