Re: Shaker Dynamic mic

I don't really understand why the Shaker Dynamic is described as "can be
used either High-Z or Low-Z",I don't think there is a switch on the Dynamic
that one can choose between High-Z or Low-Z?

So far as I can tell, no switch is necessary for a very simple reason: the
Shaker Dynamic is actually a low-impedance element wired in high-impedance
fashion but without an impedance transformer.  It has just enough output in this
mode to be usable with high-gain modern guitar amps, but its sensitivity in this
mode is so low as to resist feedback very well.  Apparently there are a few
mic elements that will do this (such as some vintage Shure controlled
reluctance ones).

I realized this the first time I played a 1/4" Shaker Dynamic into a PA that
happened to have a Lo-Z 1/4" input--there was an amazing difference in the
output and fullness of tone.  (Mark Korpi said it sounded good, if you want
independent evaluation.)  When you plug that mic into a guitar amp, the amp has to
do the work; the mic requires a lot of gain from the amp due to its weak
signal, as I said, and that's the reason why Shaker Dynamics tend not to work well
with real harp amps--too little gain in the amp circuit, maybe too much input
impedance too.  Plug a Dynamic directly into a solid-state PA and it will be
quite happy and sound like a different mic, because even the Hi-Z inputs on
most modern PAs are not that high an impedance.

I believe G. experienced a version of this several years back when he managed
to get an inline impedance transformer hooked up to his Shaker Dynamic; I'm
fuzzy on the details, but I think he said the output became much more robust
when he did that, though he didn't keep the mic.

I've always used the 1/4" "Hi-Z" Shakers because I use them in the two
situations described above: to tame unruly contemporary guitar amps or to go
straight into a 1/4" jack on a PA.  It strikes me now that getting an XLR jack model
would simplify using an inline transformer if you wanted to try that sometime.
 It also strikes me that I have managed to complicate your choices rather
than clarify them ;-).  But I hope the above is informative.

Once again, this individual message is being purged of HTML by hitting Edit:
Select All, then right-clicking on Text: Normal and sending it without further
changes.  Listmembers on AOL, take heed.

Stephen Schneider