Re: Get a chromatic?(warning-LONG)

A warped persons look at the circle of fifths.

It all started (birthday) Sept 1951, when a 9 yr old boy bought a
Marine Band at the British PX in Trieste Italy. This was at the time
and place of the beginning of the cold war. Father was a labor attache
with the occupation forces. Mother was an interpreter with radio free
Europe. The day the boy bought the diatonic, the cashier (Italian
civilian) got in a conversation with the boy. While it was in Italian,
it went something like this:
cashier: Ragazzo, whattta you got dere?
boy:       Un armonica.
cashier: Whadda you wanna play quesa "Toy" when you canna play "Un
Chromatico"?

OK, so boy buys diatonic. Plays with it for a couple weeks, finds it
limited. One day while running for the school streetcar, he drops the
thing and as luck would have it (or maybe fate), the second HALF of the
streetcar (it was 2 piece), runs over the marine band.

We jump ahead to 20 March 1955. Boy is now exactly 12 1/2, goes to the
American PK in Naples Italy to buy a swiss army knife. While there he
spots harmonicas. The words of the cashier come back to haunt him. He
leaves with a brand new Hohner 40 reed. Now there were only 3 kinds of
music you could listen to in Italy. One was the armed forces radio out
of Frankfort Germany. Mostly 30s & 40s stuff to cater to the people
semi-permanently stationed there. Since these was generally officers
(and older), the music was geared to THEM. Second was Indigineous
Italian music. Nice but too many mandolins. Then there was what "boy"
wanted to hear. Short wave from Wien, Praha, Buda-Pesht. GYPSY
shit..yeah!

My problem was I wanted to play this stuff and I didn't want to spend a
LIFETIME trying.

I view the circle of fifths a little differently than most. Maybe it
will seem warped to the educated, but I always felt as if there were 12
roads/streets leading into a TRAFFIC circle. The outer lane was the
major, the inner was the key signature and the inside was the MINOR
lane. ALL the notes have addresses. You and your harmonica are the
vehicle and your job is to visit these notes in various assorted
variations to "deliver the mail" (so to speak). Mr Blowceefour lives at
hole 4 (first floor). Mrs Blowceefive lives at hole 5 (first floor).
Miss Drawbeesharp lives at hole 4 (SECOND floor). The "slide" gets you
upstairs or downstairs. I think you get the idea.

Heres the BEST part. You only have to learn this "route" ONCE. N O  O N
E ever moves. They live there forever. AND, everyone you need HAS an
address. No guessing who "doesn't" have a hole (like a homeless
person), and you have to try to locate them somewhere in a hall BETWEEN
addresses or somewhere in the stairwell BETWEEN floors.

No there's several ways you can look at an intersection. It can be just
a crossroad, or maybe only a 3-way intersection, maybe FIVE roads lead
in and out. The circle of fifths has TWELVE. Now you can come in on F
major avenue in the outer lane, cross over the key signature lane and
exit on D minor in the inside lane. You can ALSO come in on F major ave
in the outside lane, cross over the middle key signature lane and exit
on G minor street.

The problem I see with the diatonic is that MANY avenues are missing
and it's as if the lanes are closed off with Jersey barrier (those
concrete dividers). Sooo, now you and your harp (THE vehicle) have to
make your own lanes. This has to be done by getting THROUGH (or over)
the barriers (wreck much?). Then, to get to some of the addresses you
must drive ACROSS the grassy fields, vacant lots, THROUGH the woods,
and as this weren't enough, you are looking for people (notes) which
AREN't there, OR (more correctly) are HIDING from you.

While this CAN be done, the wear and tear on your "Vehicle" will be way
high on the "wear factor". So this (and ONLY this) is why I feel that
the proper tool should be used for a job. If you can do it with a
diatonic, you have my undivided HUGE respect. But if a diatonic is so
hot why did someone decide that richter wasn't cutting it so came out
with natural minor, then there's HARMONIC minor, then diminished, then
augmented. No escape for chromatics either as there's Bee-Bop,
diminished, augmented, also.

I have ALWAYS been for experimentation, and feel it is the only way to
tame this monster we have created. The harmonica hasn't been completely
"Wrung-Out" YET. There's plenty of room for the next "phenominon". Just
make sure you know what you're getting into.

Well, what happened was the boy (remember him?) played the chromatic
until he was 16 and then moved on to other things. In 1983 (at age 41)
he came "Back". (Ironically) for the first 10 years he played mostly
DIATONIC. In fact, most of his  bigger appearances have been with
diatonic.  Now he plays both almost equally. So trust me, he is NOT
prejudiced towards either harp.

Just remember what street you want to travel, what address you NEED,
which inhabitant (Note) you wish to deliver mail to, which floor they
are on. Remember, you must make your rounds rain OR shine....no
excuses. No MISSED notes. No strange hallway, stair well, elevator
shaft, or "behind the cardboard packing box" addresses.

smokey-joe