From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Scorcher
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 2:48 AM
To: HARP - L
Subject: Rod Piazza review

I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Rod Piazza perform (...for the first
time) last Friday.

For those of you who don't know me, I don't get out much. Family commitments
(2 of 'em, & a wife) keep my "live music budget" near ~zero~ 98% of the time
(any chance I get to "go out", I usually take my gear & hit a jam - I learn
more that way).

If Rod Piazza wasn't playing at the local fair, I might NEVER have seen him
play, even though he lives less than 100 miles away and plays within 2 hours
drive of my house "all the time".

The show:
Folks, Rod Piazza is a hella entertainer. He was playing a noisy little
outdoor stage near the midway. The PA was plenty loud to handle the noise,
though. Rod had TWO HARPKINGS on stage, and I don't think he ~needed~ the PA
to be heard. Rod played a 90 minute set with his (exceptionally tight &
professional) band The Mighty Flyers. He started & ended the set with solo
performances that were well executed, polished & professional - but what
impressed me the most (that doesn't come through on his recordings) is the
was he DRIVES the band rhythmically - he wasn't still the entire time, and
it was HIS groove that was infecting the room, that was clear on every song
he played.

And the band! Miss Honey has a left (bass) hand that'll blow your mind (&
the right one's REALLY strong!), the rhythm section does ALL it's supposed
to (& a bag o' chips!), and guitarist Henry C is a wonder - he plays with
such a fresh approach, yet is absolutely authentic to the music. As a
recovering guitar owner, I was driven to destraction several times by
Henry's tastey stuff.

For the last song, Rod went wireless, came out into the audience, and really
tore it up, eventually climbing half onto a table! For the entire set, he
drove, motivated & directed the band, while letting each member have their
own chance to shine. He was the archtypical Pro all the way.

 It was really a priviledge to see a Master of West Coast Blues lay it down.
- -Scorcher

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org
Hosted by ValuePricehosting.com, http://www.valuepricehosting.com